About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog- A place of food, cakes and bakes! Just a fun-loving student who loves to bake!

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Rhubarb and Orange Custard Tart

I'm back! Things have been a little busy over the last 3 months what with exams and leaver's preparations so I apologize for being so quiet. I can assure you I'll make up for it! Since my last post in March, I have completed my GCSE's (finally!) after two years of near constant exams. My friends and I added up that we've spent about 30 hours in our exam hall. Think of all the baking you could do instead! I have also been to see my idol Olly Murs at the O2 as my birthday present from December. He was absolutely amazing and didn't fail to disappoint! Another show has been and gone as well- The Mikado, where I spent most of the week in a kimono and a very itchy wig! Spring also seems to be very popular for birthdays so it has been nice to celebrate leaving school with parties, our leaver's prom and yearbook!


This is a very tasty dessert which I made a while ago after lusting to make it for what seemed liked ages! It's from my trusty Baking Recipe Collection by Sainsbury's. 

You will need:
A batch of Shortcrust Dessert pastry
Flour, for dusting
400g Rhubarb
80g Granulated Sugar
30g Unsalted Butter, at room temeprature
3 tbsp Caster Sugar
3 tbsp Ground Almonds
Zest of 1 Small Orange
2 Large Eggs
75ml Double Cream
icing sugar, to dust

Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface and use to line an (approx.) 24cm tart tin. Cover with clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 160oC/gas mark 3. 

Wash and trim the rhubarb and cut to equal lengths of approx. 3 cm.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven, until tender and just holding its shape. Leave to cool completely and straining the juices for later use.

Increase the oven to 200oC/gas mark 6. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice. Bake blind for 18-20 minutes, removing the parchment and beans for the last 5. Reduce oven to 180oC/gas mark 4. 

Meanwhile, cream the butter and caster sugar. Add the almonds and orange zest, then the eggs (one at a time). Add the double cream and 100ml of the reserved rhubarb juice. Stir gently.



 Spoon the baked rhubarb into the pastry base and pour over the cream mixture, making sure to not over fill it (mine is a little to full.) Bake for 35-40 minutes but make sure it's set in the middle and lightly brown. This is best eaten when at room temperature with a light dusting of icing sugar. 

Happy Baking! 
x

Please leave a comment below! 
Follow @niicolaalaa and @nicsfeasts on twitter and Niicolaalaa on Instagram


P.S Here's a picture of me and my girls at our prom! 




2 comments:

  1. rhubarb and orange custard... what a glorious combo... fab piccie too, the taste of summer!

    ReplyDelete